Back at my art class and trying something new again. This week we were painting with credit cards, pushing scraping and dragging the paint around. Took me a while to get used to using this cumbersome little bit of plastic but I think l started to get it in the end. Using the card and a loaded brush dragging it over the paper worked well, wearing gloves is a good idea as it does get a bit messy, some finishing touches with a brush and some enjoyable splattering; I think it worked out ok.
I have been working on and off my senses project painting over the summer, started with a few sketches my first attempt didn’t really work, inspired by my visit to Upfest and all the wonderful urban paintings I had another go, this seams to happen a lot with my pictures, anyways its about done now.
Spent some time working out how to paint some of the elements, its been a good learning picture.
We have come to the end of our art class pathways project, its been another interesting term first looking at perspective line and colour, then looking at maps and aerial views finished up exploring something alternative.
Working with the idea that the body is full of pathways, I found some vintage anatomy illustrations and used these as the starting point for my painting,
Had a go using acrylic inks on paper in a very loose style, with big brushes and many layers, I am pleased with the results and it should create some reactions on the little gallery wall : )
As part of our artclass pathways project we have been looking a maps and as a warm up exercise we took a square of map and extended it. Hoping to improve on my first attempt I had another go. started by leaving out the map square but in the end decided to include it.
I try to think of a different approach to my paintings and this idea came when I was photographing my pictures, I noticed the great distortion you get from selecting a strange view point. The idea was to start with the distortion and perhaps return to reality when viewing the picture.
It didn’t really work, l need to think this one out again.
like all my paintings it went through a few different looks, I am pleased with the final slightly graphic feel.
Been working on my art class pathways picture for a few weeks, this one has been a real journey, even with all my planning it kept changing direction , after the finish it made one final turn, l guess knowing where you are going in your pictures is not always straightforward.
I framed it up now so there’s no going back.
Planning a painting for my artclass project, started with a sketch in my book and moving onto a larger effort on paper, I am trying some really grungy techniques splatter runny paint and torn tissue paper, under painting started it will be fun seeing where this one goes.
Yes its come to this, I am now painting flowers! It’s all part of my art class as we explore still life and sophisticated primitives. Flowers floating in water so there was a nice little twist that turned out very challenging.
Quick sketch with watercolours and gouache in class and a longer study using acrylics, I am going to try some acrylic gloss with this to see if it enhances the feeling of the water.
Finished for now…
This has been interesting to paint working from acrylics to oils worked really well, thanks to cuckoo on Instagram for his advice.
The white stripe in the background started out as a good idea but just took over the picture, I ended up toning it down, a lot better I think.
Started my painting of John Lydon never really thought it wouldn’t end up being a painting. taking a couple of new approaches to this, first I am going to spoil the canvas before I start, the idea behind this is it takes the pressure of starting with a pristine canvas and allows you to relax before you start.
Second I am going to do the underpainting in acrylics and then move to oils, this has speeded up my process and is keeping things very fresh. Not sure how long to wait before starting with the oils have to look that one up.